HR Hero Your Employment Law Resource

Search Quick Links 
Unread 04-11-2007, 03:29 AM
Dfox

Default Who Makes the Job Offer?

Our company is growing rapidly. In the past few years we have gone from 450 employees to 610. It has always been our policy that the hiring manager would make the job offer to the applicant. This was done for two reasons 1. to start building a bond between employee and manager and 2. negotiating salaries is done at the manager level, and not through HR.

Now the managers want HR to do the negotiating?

How do other companies make a job offer?

Unread 04-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Paul in Cannon Beach

Default RE: Who Makes the Job Offer?

Our managers make the job offer after recieving approval from the executive director.

HR is involved as a sounding board or for advice. But I agree with what you have posted. The hiring manager should be seen by the new employee as the person who has "hired" them.

As HR Manager, I hire employees as well but they are typically those that do not report to a specific department.
Unread 04-11-2007, 05:31 AM
NeedCoffee

I know I recently read an article stating that, for various reasons, it is best if your hiring manager and firing manager are the same person. I have looked EVERYWHERE and I can't find the article, but as soon as I do, I'll post.

Unread 04-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Dfox

If you or anyone out there knows of this article, it would be extremely helpful.
Unread 04-12-2007, 05:46 AM
Caroliso

Our hiring managers make the offer after having received authorization and salary guidelines from their division head or HR, depending on the situation. They seem to like it that way, too.

HR serves as a resource if they want help with strategy or are faced with an unfamiliar question during the negotiation process.
Unread 04-12-2007, 06:01 AM
ray a

I make the hiring offer and also do the firing. If there are any legal problems, I am the one who must deal with the DOL, so I control the process at both ends. If you give the hiring control to the dept heads, it is too easy for them to make a decision bypassing you completely.
Unread 04-12-2007, 07:53 AM
allsteaks

We're the same as Ray stated. It also keeps the process consistent and within legal boundaries. I also have responsibility for wage and hour issues as well as salary ranges. Farming out the offers would cause some heartburn for me.

Unread 04-12-2007, 08:40 AM
ACU Frank

Several months ago I left an employer which had this arrangement:

HR Mgr does initial interview
Location GM does second interview, makes offer

HR Mgr tracks performance reviews, but does not give any, sit in on any, or write any. HR Mgr does inform employee as to amount of increase.

HR Mgr reviews/approves/tracks performance management (write-ups, etc) but does not deliver or observe delivery.

HR Mgr reviews/approves terminations, but does not deliver or observe delivery.

So... to recap... HR Mgr may be involved in preparation of documentation, but has little or no involvement the actual delivery.

BUT... HR Mgr is responsible for EACH and EVERY step in any post-termination actions, whether it involves District/Regional/National oversight, the EEOC, or whomever, and is expected to do so with little or no involvement of the rest of the management team (to "preserve confidentiality").

Great system, huh?
Unread 04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
ray a

Yep Frank, you aptly illustrate why in my organization HR takes the lead in steps. right now our AAP is being audited by the DOL, including salary structure and application. I put together a salary chart in response to the DOL's requiest and it looks quite good. We should have no problems. If salary was at the whim of each dept manager, I'm sure that chart would have shown a mess.
Unread 04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
HRQ

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-12-07 AT 02:51PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-12-07 AT 02:51*PM (CST)[/font]

I read that article recently, too, maybe a month or so ago. I just went through all my e-newsletters from the past three months and couldn't find it. I'll let you know if I come across it.

I don't do any hiring, but I do approve all terminations.

We have 30 employment sites and it's just not reasonable for me to be involved in all hires. I do train all supervisors at least annually on hiring practices during which we also review/revamp the interview forms as a team. I also do annual training on discrimination, disciplinary practices, etc. and they do a pretty good job of calling me when in doubt about a hiring or other employment decision.

The person who hires is always the person who "fires," the only exception being when the hiring manager is no longer in that position.