HR Hero Your Employment Law Resource

Search Quick Links 
Unread 08-05-2009, 09:16 AM

Default Double time for Holiday Pay

Our handbook currently states that we will pay double time for work performed on a company Holiday. Does anyone still offer double time? We are considering changing the policy to state "time and a half" instead of "double time".
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:52 AM

We used to pay double time for holidays, but we changed it to time-and-a-half some years ago. It just made more sense for our business. My husband had one job where they still paid double time, but he was in a union and it was part of the contract. I think the practice may be dying out, especially in this economy.
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Our employees receive two and one-half times pay for working on a holiday. They are all subject to collective bargaining agreements.
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:02 AM

I would pay for the hours worked on the holiday and for the holiday as well. If working on the holiday throws an ee into OT for that week, then some or all of the hours actually worked on the holiday would be at time and a half. Added to that would be 8 hours of holiday pay at the regular rate of pay.

If you don't pay for the actual hours worked and for the holiday, you very well may have a messy employee relations problem. For example, if you don't pay what amounts to double time, then the ee's who don't work on the holiday get full time pay for that day, but the ee's who do work on the holiday only get half time for the holiday. It would create an inequity.

I hope this helps.

Sharon
Unread 08-05-2009, 12:50 PM

Employees who work on a paid holiday here get paid their regular salary for the holiday hours, and time-and-a-half on top of that for any hours they actually work, so I guess if you put it in those terms, if you worked 8 hours on a paid holiday, you'd actually be making 2.5 times what you'd make on a normal day.
Unread 08-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Sassy Member

Straight time for the hours worked plus regular pay for the holiday. That equals double time.
Unread 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM

Default Double Time For Holiday Pay

We pay straight pay for the holiday, then time and a half for hours worked. However, the hours worked changes to double time for "major" holidays where the EE misses out on quality time with family(Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, etc)
Unread 08-06-2009, 10:05 AM

Most places I have worked have a policy just like Joannie's. 8 hours holiday pay is a given. Any hours worked is paid at straight time, making it "double time".
Unread 08-07-2009, 03:01 AM

We too are the same as CAllen and Joannie. Straight time for holiday pay and then same for any hours worked on the holiday.